Working for America
State Workforce Investment Board
Virginia Board of Workforce Development
Sara Dunnigan, Executive Director
1111 E. Broad Street
Patrick Henry Building
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 663-7464
Key Workforce Priorities
- Expand engagement with employers and deliver value to our business customers.
- Develop skills in Virginia’s workforce in the form of workforce credentials that matter to business.
- Help our job seeking customers securing job in demand occupations that show promise for long-term growth in industries that are strategic to Virginia’s economy and strengthen Virginia’s regions.
- Support individuals in earned wages that help them access the middle class and demonstrate career progression.
- Ensure that the workforce system’s public investments that generate a quality return to Virginia and the customers we serve.
- In 2012, Virginia’s public workforce system served 1.2 million individuals. This system provides services in 15 local workforce areas across the state. Virginia delivers services through its network of One-Stop Career Centers.
- Since the trough of the recession in 2010, the Virginia economy has added more than 210,000 jobs.
- It is projected that Virginia employers will need to fill more than 147,000 jobs annually through 2022 due to the combined effects of growth and replacement needs.
- Through 2022, the greatest increase in employment is expected in to be in the fields of Computer and Mathematical Occupations, Office and Administrative Support, Food Preparation and Serving, and Business and Financial Operations.
- The industries projected to create the most new jobs (from 2012 – 2022) are: Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Healthcare and Social Assistance, and Educational Services.
Local Workforce Investment Boards – find local Workforce Investment Boards in this state.
Local American Job Centers – find local Career Centers in this state.
Labor Market Information - view State Directors of Labor Market Intelligence.
Workforce Success Stories – find workforce success stories in this state.
Workforce Innovations – find innovations designed by boards in this state.