Working for America
State Workforce Development Board
Mississippi State Workforce Investment Board
Les Range, Executive Director - Mississippi
Department of Employment Security
1235 Echelon Parkway
Jackson, MS 39213
Key Workforce Priorities
- Align and fully utilize the K-12, Community College, Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) and private sector workforce training systems to drive economic development.
- Promote Regional Sector Strategies to engage businesses in defining training needs.
- The Mississippi legislature will be considering legislation this year to establish the State Longitudinal Data System that will provide stakeholders and policymakers access to data on state residents from birth to the workforce to drive accountability and investment decisions.
- Invests more "On-the-Job Training" money than most other states and annually performs in the top five of all states in providing federal "On-the-Job Training" dollars to train and employ workers.
- Annually serves hundreds of thousands of businesses and workers.
- Provides services in person, by telephone and online.
- Accepted more than 28,000 applications for Toyota jobs online by January 2011.
- Had an unemployment insurance trust fund balance of $352 million as of November 2010.
- Used federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Family funds to establish Subsidized Transitional Employment Program and Services project, commonly called STEPS.
- Used STEPS program to help 1,304 employers put 3,236 Mississippians to work. At the end of STEPS, 1,641 retained their jobs.
- Has transferred $127 million to the Mississippi State Board for Community and Junior Colleges to provide workforce training since the establishment of the Workforce Enhancement Training Fund, commonly called the WET Fund.
Local Workforce Development Boards – find local Workforce Development Boards in this state.
Local American Job Centers – find local Career Centers in this state.
Labor Market Information - view State Directors of Labor Market Intelligence.
Workforce Success Stories – find workforce success stories in this state.
Workforce Customer Testimonials – find first-hand quotes from customers in this state.
Workforce Innovations – find innovations designed by boards in this state.